Thursday, January 13, 2011

Animal rescue rules suck

I don’t understand this thing about dog rescues groups. I mean isn’t the whole point that they want to rescue dogs from the bad situations they are stuck in,  and put them into better situations. I mean all you hear about is the millions of pets that get put down due to lack of responsibility, and how it’s such a huge problem bla bla bla. But sometimes when I get a on a kick about looking for my next dog, or my future dog , I am struck by how many of these so called rescues don’t actually seem to want to adopt anything out to new owners. Want to know how many say point blank that people have to have a yard and it’s always followed by NO EXCEPTIONS!!!  I mean come on; I get that if it’s a large energetic dog then yes of course, but what about the small lazy dogs or old senior dogs? Once I even saw that rule on a dog that had like limited use of his hind end. I was like why the F does this dog who can’t get around very well to begin with, need to have that fenced yard? Its ridicules. 

Other stupid things are stuff like no apartments, fenced yard mandatory, must be within the same zip code. Once the doctor I worked with was denied because she had stairs going into her house and what would happen if the dog got arthritis and couldn’t do steps any longer. She was like I’m a vet,  I’d do the same thing that your vet at the rescue would do. But nope they were denied  the adoption regardless. I mean all these stupid rules are doing is preventing people from being able to adopt your so called rescue dog. Therefore causing your rescue to be less successful then I bet you want it to be and not as effective. I mean shouldn’t they just let anyone who wants to take a pet in, and love it, and care for it, and heck pay for it first just be able to adopt it? I mean who cares if a dog has a fenced yard if the owner is willing to take it for long walks every day. And who cares if you don’t own your own home,  if like me you rent in a place where you are allowed a dog and even have to pay extra each month for the dog rent. And who cares if you live in a different city or state as long as you are willing to spend all the money out of your own pocket to travel to the animal and also pay to get it back to your home afterward. Aren’t all these things a better option than just saying no because some stupid dumb un-necessary rule is in place. 
 
Recently I have been starting to look for a replacement for my dog Bandit. It’s not like I am looking super hard, because I think that Morgan (my dog right now) is really enjoying being the only dog in the house. She is such a good dog that it’s going to be had to find someone equally as awesome. But I have decided that I am going to keep a look out for that dog that tugs on my heartstrings, and I instantly know has to come home to live with me. It’s proven to be more challenging then I figured and mainly due to these stupid rescue rules. The first dog I liked was in a rescue out in Bremerton and I sent an application. I was honest with my living situation and life. They came back and said point blank they that I already have 4 pets, (the dog and 3 cats) and that’s already 1 more than a single person can adequately give enough attention too, and it’s completely preposterous that I would want a 5th. I was like WTF yeah I have a dog who sleeps on the couch when she doesn’t get to come to work with me and get spoiled. A cat that lives in terror of the world and hides under the bed,   An old sick cat I have thrown 300 bucks into this year alone to keep alive,  and Spooky the other non-issue cat.  So yes… far too many and no way could I ever give any attention to this dog. Its far better it stays in foster care for an unknown amount of time instead.  The next dog I applied for was anther cute Morgan look alike dog. This time they came back and said that because I didn’t have a fenced yard  it wasn’t the ideal situation, because "all dogs have to have the freedom to walk around without a leash on in a safe place". I guess I should feel sorry for Morgan who has never had that kinda joy. I mean I take her to work when I go in on the weekends and let her wander around  the fenced yard, she does her potty stuff, sniffs a bit,  then comes back and sits by the door until I let her back in so she can go back to sleeping. Yep seems like that fenced yard is a big loss to her on a everyday basis.  So whatever I mean obviously I am not a good home for these dogs with my renting, lack of yard, and proclivity for neglect. So fine but then please stop shoving the stupid “millions of homeless animals” statics down my throat constantly. 

The other big thing I run into especially when looking for my elusive hairless dream cat, is that dumb out of state rule. I mean god forbid that a rare cat comes in to a rescue,  and sits on Petfinders for months and months and months,  maybe cause she is a rare breed and older than ideal.  Shouldn’t they be ecstatic that someone would even call about her? Maybe someone in the vet field who has harbored a love for this breed of cat forever, someone willing to spend the money to travel to another state , and jump through huge hoops to adopt it.  Wouldn’t you think that would be the perfect candidate for this cat? But of course not!! All because I live in a different state I am instantly disqualified. So sorry Scarab,  I hope you find someone else to adopt you. But since you gotta find someone with in a 10 mile radius, the chances aren’t very good.  
 
So who is to blame for all this crappy rescue behavior anyways? I mean yes in one hand it does make finding and getting that perfect dog or cat so much more valuable, just by knowing what a task it was to adopt them. But at some point , couldn’t I  just say F it and fork over some money to a breeder and buy the perfect dream cat, that I cant seem to rescue because of these stupid rules. I think that like so many other things pet rescue groups are a very flawed system.  I think that there has to have some major changes made to make it more proactive and successful. I don’t know what those changes are and don’t know if I world ever really want to have to spend the time to figure them out. Because that seems like a loose- lose situation, if I have even seen one I feel bad for the millions of unwanted pets in the world. But I feel much worse for the probable  thousands of wanted pets that couldn’t get a great new home due to some stupid rule and never get to know what could have been. 

Here is Morgan who I was able to rescue and I love to death and who someday might get to have another friend. Well as soon I am deemed worthy to.

2 comments:

  1. What a perious picture of Morgan! Your Mom thinks that you are a perfect pet owner but thinks you should save some time and money for fostering also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, thats a Great Idea, Foster,, Once you agree to foster, They just assume you will keep the animal.. So there, now you have a way to adopt with out all the grief.

    ReplyDelete