Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Starting this last week.

I have two days left at my job until I start a new job. This is a really exciting thing for me but I am also faced with many fears.  I have always been labeled kind of a hard person to know. I come off as a bitch I’ve been told more then once. And I know that I tend to show lots of indifference to people who I deem unworthy. Even thought I really don’t mean to.  I have been working on it but I know that these are the first impressions that people commonly get from me.  I started working at my current hospital two and a half years ago after I moved back to the Seattle area. I thought that being as experienced and diverse as I was in this field, finding a job in such a huge place like Seattle would be easy. It turned out that I was quite wrong.

Before I even moved here I had more then one interview lined up just by sending out my resume to a few different larger clinics. I took more then one trip over the mountains for interviews and job shadows from my tiny town in North Eastern Oregon. When I finally actually moved, it was the middle of the one winter when Seattle had a bunch of snow and pretty much shut down for a week or two. I got a lot of positive feed back from these places, but they all told me that because it was the middle of winter they were unable to hire anyone new at this time. I kept at it, sending out like a ton of resumes a day and always taking interviews. I had some meetings at some pretty weird places, and did some pretty weird working interviews let me tell you. I turned down one place where I didn’t think would match my style and I hoped that I wouldn’t regret that decision.  Because at this time I was starting to feel the pressure to just find any job.

After about two and a half months I was running out of money and starting to get kind of worried. I mean I really didn’t think it would be this tough to find a job and had never had this much trouble in all the places I have lived in.  I knew that I was following all the rules of job searching, and I know that my resume stood out. I just figured that with the way the economy was and the crappy weather were both constantly working against me. I started to modify my resume to be acceptable on even the human side of things because this is how desperate I was becoming. I sent out another wave of resumes and just waited.  I received a call from this one hospital and had a very lovely conversation with the office manager. They then asked me to come in for a sit down interview with the owner. I arrived at that and I met the owner and talked about what they wanted and what not, and I felt really good about the place.   But heck maybe it was cause I was kind of desperate for anything to feel good at this point. They asked me to come back for a working interview and I eagerly accepted.  The day of my working interview was crazy for me and I really just needed it to go well. So I tried to just make myself super friendly and talkative and not seem bitchy and I overly intense. I guess something worked out well because I left totally feeling like I bonded with one of the staff members and totally hoping that this would be the place I would work.  I waited for like a week until I got the call and lucky for me it did become just that.

I am not going to say that my two and a half years have been perfect. There have been many ups and downs. I have seen some really great people and some really awful people come and go.  I have had good moments and bad moments in this time. I have been the butt of many jokes, and made them all laugh at another crazy Martha story;   I have felt pressure both with my co-worker and just in the intensity of working in this field.  I have met some really amazing animals. But as I approach my last two days being employed there, I know that I have truly been able to be a part of a really amazing team of people who I will miss so much. Where as this job may have started out  as a little bit as a desperation; It has turned into a wonderful place filled with really fun and incredible people, who I know respect and admire me just as much as I do them. I’m sad to have to move on. I am scared to leave that comfort of being a part of this closeness. But I’m excited to see if I can make my new job become the same way to me. I will never forget the people I have spent all this time with or tons of the animals I have had the pleasure to help and care for. I will miss them all more then you could imagine.

So this post is for all you guys… I know many of you read this and many of you don’t. I just want to say thanks for being the best two and a half years I could have. Thanks for allowing me to be this goofy fun and zany person I always have been. Know that I will miss each and every one of you for so many different reasons, but know that I will always be around if you need me maybe not as a co-worker but definitely as a friend.  It will be weird to return to my hospital as a client instead of an employee. But I am embracing this change and ready to have a great new challenge in my life to pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment