Wednesday, March 28, 2012

picking up extra shifts


I have been spending a large amount of my time recently working extra shifts at a different hospital. It has really thrown my whole schedule out of whack, but it’s been nice to get to go back to a day practice and do some of the tasks I have missed since working in emergency. I forget how much I like cleaning really gross heavy tarter of teeth or taking perfect dental x-rays like a pro.   Oh and getting the chance to lead and teach in a way that I seem to be unable to do in my current situation. It’s been a nice experience and the extra money is a much loved bonus. See each hour I have worked at this hospital its time and half because it’s for the same company. Pretty sweet deal right?


So with me doing all this extra work (and when I say extra work I mean two days a week extra, that’s 20+ hours more in addition to my normal 40+. Yes that mean 60+ hour weeks I have been working these last two months) Is that I never have the time to do anything else. I haven't been able to go do wildlife rehab in forever. I have stopped being able to see my friends at our weekly breakfast get together.  I haven't had time to even think about going on a date or even trying to meet someone who I'd want to date if I did have the time. I haven’t seen my little sister in almost a month. And don’t get me started on my own pets and house; I have dishes galore piled up and my poor cats once had to resort to eating some moldy veggies out of the trash to survive starvation! Well until they puked it all up a few hours later in my living room.  I have become a shitty pet owner who barely has the time to throw some food in their bowls, flip a few turtle lights on or off, and chuck a few hunks of kale into the tanks to be devoured. And let’s not even mention poor Morgan, who seems to spend more time in the kennel in the back of my car then in my house. Because see in addition to all this extra work at this other hospital I’m doing, I have also done this gigantic amount of house and pet sitting for other people’s animals. That’s the truly ironic part about this last month and a half; see as I have started to neglect my own animals more and more, I am working my ass off to care for other people’s awesomely instead. 


So yeah I suck. I know… But I find comfort in knowing that all this sucking is for a purpose and that purpose is going to make it all worthwhile in the future. Soon I am going be in a position to reveal some crazy life plans here with you all, and then you’ll also get to see that my actions are for a much better good.   I have some major life changes in the works and I am getting excited to share these with people and start the path to this new life I am planning. But until then (or at least for tonight), I am taking a night off; the first in a whole week where I have actually am able to sleep in my own bed and cuddle with the cats and dogs that I love more than anything. Tomorrow I am going to make the turtles a large meal of something special, hopefully making up for all my crappyness this last month.  And I’m going to enjoy being able to do nothing except catch up on my TiVo and write a very long overdue blog entry or two. I also have a great evening planned with my little sis hopefully being able to do something fun.  Oh and a sink full of dishes I must wash cause I’m out of spoons which isn't fun exactly but must get done nonetheless.


So yeah that’s what has been happening since I last posted here. I guess as my mom said to me just today, I am lucky to be young enough where all this work isn’t totally killing me and lucky that I am in a field where I get to have a job, much less one that I like and sometimes I get to get paid overtime to go out and do every day.  I guess in that regard I really can’t complain.

1 comment:

  1. I think I know what all the extra $ you are earning is going toward a goal and I for one support you 100% Love you MOM

    ReplyDelete