Thursday, July 7, 2011

My newly formed gigantic blisters

OK so making the decision to walk to work my first night was by far probably the worst decision I have ever made.  See when I got offered this job one of the things that really excited me was that it was only three miles from my apartment. I was totally like sweet, I go a further distance when I am at the gym doing cardio and this will be awesome I can ditch the car, get some exercise, and help reduce my carbon foot print all just by walking to work. See in all my jobs I have never lived this close and it really excited me that I had this as an option.  The last place I worked required a 35 minute drive and if did want to take the bus I would have to transfer three different times and have the trip take almost two hours.  Where I worked in Oregon I had to spend almost an hour driving around on a super loan highway each way.  In Colorado the closest I got was about fifteen minutes away and never close enough where I could head home for my lunch break.  So on this first night of my new job I left an hour before my shift started. I wasn’t entirely sure about how long it would take to get there and of course I didn’t want to be late. It was a perfect summer evening and when I started out it was at the end of a sunny day and only as I had the last few blocks to go did it turn dark, and never once didn’t I feel weary about being outside.  I threw on my ipod and enjoyed a great play list as I walked along. I timed it perfectly arriving only 15 minutes before I was required to and with just enough time to clean myself up, change, and drink a bunch of water to refresh before clocking in.

I got so wrapped up in the whole walking to work stuff that I forgot one very important detail. Working emergency is like way harder and more physical work then I have done in a long time.  And even though it was only my first day I was running around like crazy,  and unlike in my last job never really had a chance to ever once sit down..  By the time my ten hours were done and I started my three mile walk home my feet hurt pretty badly. The walk home is pretty much up hill for the whole first half. I wasn’t very tired and it again was a perfect summer morning, the sun was shining, and I was thrilled to have brought a tank top to change into. Half way back home I started to really feel the pain in my feet, but I just figured that it was being on them now for almost 12 hours.  The walk in total took about an hour and as I entered the house I was so elated that I had made this decision to walk to work and eager to do it again tomorrow because I felt so refreshed and healthy. Even with my now super killing feet. It wasn’t until I got undressed and jumped in the shower that I noticed the huge blisters forming on my feet.  After I fell asleep for a few hours they seemed to triple in size, and by the time I woke up I seriously had so much pain, that spent the rest of the day hobbling around the house.  Now I am keeping my insanely huge blisters covered with a million Band-Aids and thick socks in order to super pad them. I have managed to make it through last night with minimal pain and a whole lotta Tylenol. And tonight I’m planning a similar plan of action and doing the same thing, because they are still super killing me. So needless to say, last night I drove in and will tonight as well.  I felt a little bad about it, but I guess it was ambitious to think that a six mile walk on top of my new responsibilities was a good idea. Maybe I should try to work up to the walking to work stuff But I guess that’s what I get for trying to reduce my carbon footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment